Nonstick pans may be convenient, but they are toxic. Credit: Shutterstock

49. Non-Stick Pots and Frying Pans

A lot of people want to buy “Non stick” pots and pans, because they are convenient to clean up, and you can get away with using less oil in your food. However, they are coated with a substance called “Teflon”, which is made up of perfluorochemicals. This substance lets off fumes once you heat it up. So, if you breathe in those fumes while you cook, it can make you sick. For some people, it becomes so bad, that they experience flu-like symptoms, sometimes called “The Teflon Flu”. If you find that cooking literally makes you ill, try to stick to a pan that is more natural, like cast iron.

Advertisement