There are some really extravagant homes across the country, but regardless of the room number, acreage, and other showcases of wealth, a few properties that stand out from the rest. These homes aren’t necessarily expensive, but they have a rich history about them that makes them quite memorable.
Take a look at some of the most recognizable properties across the United States in alphabetical order. From homes of presidents to your favorite movie sets or even historic estates of millionaires, you will definitely want to visit the most famous homes in each state as you travel across America.
Alabama – Gaineswood
Located in Demopolis, it took 18 years to construct this lovely home, from 1843 to 1861. It started as a two-room cabin and evolved into the Greek Revival-style mansion that it is today. The builder and architect, Bryan Whitfield, used slaves for the construction of this home; some of them became accomplished carpenters.
What’s unique about the development of this home is that it uses three different Greek styles in its construction. The exterior sports the Doric-style, the interior has Ionic, and the drawing room has Corinthian. To mix these styles is rarely heard of, but this home accomplished that.
Situated in Sitka, this house is one of the last surviving representations of the Russian Colonial style. It was completed in 1842 when Russia still controlled the area when Sitka was once the Russian colonial capital. The Russian Bishop’s House was at the center of the Russian Orthodox Church, which was eventually closed in 1969.
The house was in a state of disrepair for a long time, with a leaky roof and rotten walls. In 1973, the National Park Service obtained the property. They restored the property for over a period of 16 years. The cheerful yellow color is definitely an improvement from the grimy look this building once had.
Famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright lived in Taliesin West for a while. It became the School of Architecture, located in Scottsdale, Arizona. With over 620 acres of property, Wright’s students continuously expanded the sprawling area with unique styles.
The structure of the walls consists of local rocks from the desert, stacked together by wooden forms, and then filled with concrete. This construction came to be because Wright felt strongly about nature and using materials that were in the area. He also enjoyed the use of natural light, which also features heavily in how he designed the building.
This simple house served as the home for President Bill Clinton’s home for the first four years of his life. He lived with his mother and grandparents, where he would play in the yard with his friends.
The home is in the style of American Foursquare, with projecting eaves and a roof porch situated on the front. The interior of the house has been renovated since, though many of the original details are still in place, especially on the second story.
With Hugh Hefner’s passing, this property isn’t the party-city location it used to be. However, that doesn’t detract from how beautiful the place is. It was built in 1971 in the “Gothic-Tudor style,” and is equipped with 29 different rooms, including a game room, three zoos, and a grotto, just to name a few.
The new owners use the mansion for business meetings, magazine photography, and charitable events. Most people from the early 2000s probably remember when Hef answered the door wearing his velvet robe for the MTV tour.
Also known as The Sculptured House, it’s definitely one of the more interesting houses to look at in this list. The owner started construction in 1963, but ran out of money before completing the building. Sleeper House remained unfinished for almost 30 years before entrepreneur John Huggins purchased it in 1999.
The interior is quite spacious, sporting 7,700 square feet. It has five levels, five bedrooms, and five bathrooms, providing much space for guests and entertainment purposes. There’s also a state-of-the-art kitchen and a master suite on the top level.
If you’ve ever wanted transparency in your life, this is the place to get it. The Glass House was designed and built by Philip Johnson in 1949 when he wanted nature to serve as his wallpaper for his home. He achieved this by creating glass walls all the way around it.
This daring construction was a giant step in the way of architecture, by blending the modern with minimalism. Thankfully, when Johnson lived in the house, he installed a floor-to-ceiling brick cylinder that houses the bathroom, so that at least provides some privacy.
Europe definitely influenced the design and construction of this beautiful mansion. The inspiration came from the architecture of Versailles, complete with fountains and gilded sculptures that are simply breathtaking.
The interior is decked out in 18th-Century French furniture and antiques that you can’t find anywhere else. The sprawling gardens are also to die for and are considered the most abundant form of French formal garden-style parks in North America.
Built in 1851, this served as Hemingway’s home from 1931 to 1939. However, he did retain the title to the house until his death, where his sons took over occupation of it. When Hemingway lived here, he wrote some of his best work on the property, including “Green Hills of Africa” and “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.”
One of the first houses on the island to be fitted with indoor plumbing, it was initially designed by Asa Tift, who was a marine architect and salvage wrecker. It’s in the French Colonial estate style and constructed out of limestone quarried at the site.
This Renaissance-style home was commissioned by the Inmans in 1924 when their previous home burned down. Residing on 28 acres, this home has a very classical approach on the front facade. The rear is less formal, with lowered terraced gardens and a beautiful fountain. Its interior definitely has a lot of personality on its own too because of the designers built the Swan House with entertaining guests in mind.
There are motifs of swans everywhere around the mansion, and the interior still holds many of the original furnishings. Today, the Atlanta History Center owns the property, who maintains the upkeep of the place.
This home is a get-away from all the hubbub of busy city life. Completed in 1952, it’s tucked away behind dense forests of eucalyptus trees. The exterior isn’t something to balk about, as it doesn’t look over-the-top or extravagant, but it’s still a marvelous structure of architecture.
The interior is a sprawl of rooms that all come together to lead to the private wing of the home. Sensibility and mindfulness were strong themes in the construction of the Liljestrand House. There’s a lot of open space to breathe and relax, with huge windows to let in much light. Exposed ceiling beams give the interior a spacious and clean feel that anyone would appreciate.
This Victorian mansion looks like it’s straight out of a fairy tale. It’s one of the most recognizable landmarks in Idaho, mostly because of all the intricate details that went into its design and construction. The property features a carriage house and at least nine parking spaces for visitors.
It was built by Emma and Drew Standrod in 1902, consisting of 16 rooms that took seven years to build. The structure consists of stone that was quarried nearby and hauled by cart to the site to be prepared by masons. The Standrod Mansion was also one of the first in the state to be equipped with electric lighting.
If you’ve ever seen the movie “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” this is the house from that iconic Ferrari scene. It was built in the suburb of the Highland Park in 1953 and designed by A. James Speyer for two textile artists, the Roses. The frames are constructed of steel, while wood and glass complete the rest of the exterior.
The large pavilion windows grant a great view of the surrounding park, with luscious trees and undergrowth that foster a sense of peace and tranquility. Which one would think would make this property a steal. However, bidders were only interested in tearing the property down. Luckily, the winners and new owners are currently having the Ben Rose House renovated.
This brick home was built by the Christians, whom both worked at Purdue University at the time. It took a period of six years to construct the whole thing. Frank Lloyd Wright, an infamous architect, designed the house. The name of the building actually came from the samara trees that were first present on the property before building started. It was the shape of their leaves that inspired the design of the rest of the home.
Samara was originally built to entertain guests, and the living room alone can hold up to 50 people. The palette of this home is considered to be one of Wright’s most saturated, though he was initially against the use of such bright colors.
Also known as The American Gothic House, it’s most recognizable by the painting “American Gothic” painted by Grant Wood. The Dibbles first owned it after construction in 1882. What makes the design of this home so unique are the Gothic windows just on the upper floors. Although residency of the house changed many times, the State Historical Society now owns the Dibble House; it is rented out privately to different people.
No one knows why these features were part of the renovation since they don’t really go with the rest of the exterior’s decor, but they’ve made this home stand out from the rest. One popular theory is that the Dibbles added them to beautify their home, during a time when residents added extravagant details to the outsides.
In the middle of the year of 1855, John Brown and his five sons moved near to Samuel and Florella Adair and became heavily involved with the incident known as Bleeding Kansas. Here, they were all involved in the Underground Railroad, which helped to house fugitive slaves.
After the deaths of both families, the community erected a pavilion around the house after moving the house into town in 1928. It was later named the John Brown Museum; visitors can see how people used to live back then because they preserved the walls and old furniture of the home.
The once-plantation home of Henry Clay, this 19th-Century home is located in the heart of Kentucky. The land itself is over 600 acres and was worked on by up to 60 enslaved African Americans at the time.
A tour through the home provides access to family artifacts from all 5 generations of the family. The exterior of the home includes walking paths through the woods, gardens, and other historic buildings that you can venture through.
This mansion is at the heart of New Orleans architecture. It has a baroque facade, wrought-iron balconies, and a simple floor plan to provide a lot of space to occupants. It doesn’t have very many stories but it still looks quite grand.
It used to be owned by Marie LaLaurie, who built it in 1832. It was considered one of the grandest homes at the time and in the area. Two years later, a fire broke out resulting in the deaths of seven slaves locked inside. Angry at her treatment of them, residents of the area broke in and destroyed everything within the home.
A Colonial farmhouse, this home has 14 rooms inside and became famous by one of Andrew Wyeth’s painting called “Christina’s World.” The occupants themselves were also featured in several of his paintings, as Christina Olson herself inspired Wyeth. She had lost the use of her legs due to disease.
It was actually built in the 1700s by a Captain Hathorn II, which was then altered in 1871 by Captain Hathorn IV. These alterations added several bedrooms to the home and changed the roof to be steeper.
This home is made mostly of brick and is believed to have been first rented by Poe’s aunt Maria Clemm in 1832. Her mother and her own daughter soon joined her, and then Edgar Allen Poe himself in 1833. He was only 23 at the time and had just left West Point. He would continue living in the house for at least 2 years.
100 years later, the home was about to get demolished, but the Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore purchased the house and renovated it. The interior includes a lock of Poe’s hair, a small piece of his coffin, and some original china that belonged to his guardian after his mother’s death.
Built in 1680, this colonial-style home the construction took place during the American Revolution. Paul Revere House is now a museum, where visitors must pay an admission for entry.
Because of its age, it is the oldest home in downtown Boston. It was first built and owned by Robert Howard, where there were spacious rooms that were further enhanced by casement windows and overhands on the second story. Its construction is typical of the area at the time because of the wide-spread use of timber in the structure.
Construction of this studio was started in 1934 by Alden B. Dow, who once worked closely with Frank Lloyd Wright. He built during a time when the entire country was suffering through the Great Depression, though this area did not face as hard a hit as others.
Dow completed the studio in 1935 and he started the second studio the following year. The infamous designer made it a workplace for Alden’s architectural firm, for important ideas and discussions. It includes two drafting room, a reception area, and a sunken conference room for privacy.
In 1882, James Hill bought three lots during a time when wealthy individuals were buying up land to build fancy homes. The lots had a great view of the Mississippi River; many people wanted this space. Also, because he was becoming as affluent as an empire builder, he wanted his home to stand out.
It featured a gallery holding his collections of sculptures and art and had a hybrid system of gas and electric, which was becoming more prevalent during this period. All of the woodworking on the home is hand-carved and quite intricate. Other rooms also include a music room, formal dining room, drawing room, library, and a home office. The entire family lived on the second floor.
This house definitely stands out from the rest of the surrounding architecture, with its octagonal shape and onion-shaped dome on top. There are also stark differences between the first floor and the rest of the other levels.
Development started in 1859; however, the American Civil War erupted and halted construction in 1861. The owner, Dr. Nutt, died of pneumonia during this time, leaving its completion unfinished for some time. What was initially supposed to be a 32-room home only ended up having nine completed rooms.
Now a museum, this was once the home of Jesse James until his injury in 1882. Jesse James’ house was a Greek Revival-style home that was once located in St. Joseph. It was moved to a different location so that it could receive more tourist attraction.
In fact, in the northern interior wall, there is still a large bullet hole which actually used to be a lot smaller. Over the years, those seeking a souvenir of some kind would carve at the wood for shavings, which made the hole bigger. Within are several items that used to belong to him and his family, photos of him and his family, the handles of his coffin, bits of wood, and a pin he wore on his death.
The now-museum features work by the “cowboy artist” Charles Russell, who has created over 2,000 paintings of cowboys, Native Americans, and landscapes. He was also an author and became an advocate for the equal treatment of Native Americans in Montana.
Russell left his home at a young age to work at a sheep ranch and then went to learn to become a trapper and hunter. He also worked as a cowboy for some time before he finally settled down with his wife and started painting. The C.M. Russell Log Cabin Studio is where he did the majority of his work. Luckily, the National Register of Historic Places preserved the property.
This historic home was once a residence for “Buffalo Bill” Cody, who was a famed showman. The home captures his life as a hunter, Army scout, and eventual showman. Buffalo Bill Ranch became museum and now showcases a lot of his memorabilia.
Cody earned his name by supplying buffalo mean to the Kansas Pacific Railway. By then, his Wild West Show was gaining much attention and even toured in Europe. The success of the show provided him with the funds to build “The Mansion on the Prairie,” which is an Empire-style home. Here, he raised cattle and bred stallions on what would be 4000 acres of land.
It was the first licensed brothel in Nevada, dating back to 1971. It originally started as four double-wide trailers but has become the structure you see today. It has 54 rooms where women are hired to perform acts for men for money. The Ranch would get half of whatever the women earned as a form of rent.
It was considered to be a nuisance by man but was never shut down for p*******n. Improvements were made, such as adding a pool and had changed owners many times. There was a second Ranch several miles away, which was burned down during a fire drill training exercise.
Infamous poet Robert Frost lived in his home since the fall of 1900 until the property sold in 1911. The majority of his poetry collections, including “A Boy’s Will” and “North of Boston” were written here. He also home-schooled his children at the Robert Frost farm as well. The author would live here with his wife and children, somewhat tending to the farm. Most neighbors believed Frost to be quite lazy.
He and the family eventually moved in 1909, where the property became a junkyard, with scraps of junk cars tossed onto the land. The home fell into disrepair until it was finally taken over by the state of New Hampshire and they eventually made restorations.
Located on Mercer Street, this was Einstein’s home from 1935 until his death in 1955. It was built around 1876 and was designed to have a simple cottage look. Einstein had initially stated that after his death, he didn’t wish for his home to grow into a museum, but it did anyway. The home became a historic landmark in 1976.
After his death, it became home to many scientists and professors over the years. Among the residents were Albert Hirschman and Frank Wilczek, who were a professor and physicist respectively. The Institute for Advanced Study now owns it, but it is not open to the public.
Billy the Kid was one of the most wanted men in the territory of New Mexico. Because of that, he had many hideouts where he would “lay low” to avoid the authorities. This hideout was a stopover for Billy in the 1880s. The west side of Black Hill nestled the property and most passerby could not see the concealed home. A 200-foot vantage point was situated nearby too so that they could be on the lookout for authorities.
Approximately 127 years later, the hideout fell into disrepair until it was eventually reclaimed and preserved. Many of the old features are still there, like a blackened wall where fires once burned, and carvings of initials into the rock wall where Billy and his friends passed the time.
This mansion is the official residence of the Mayor of New York. It was built in 1799 and overlooked the East River. A building nearby was once commandeered by George Washington during the Revolutionary War but was eventually destroyed by the British. Archibald Gracie than built another building on the same site and used it as a country home until 1823. He had to sell it off to pay his debts.
Other people have lived in the house since then until the government eventually seized it in 1896 and made it part of the grounds of Carl Schurz Park. Nowadays, people can use the mansion for official city business, such as meetings and events.
George Washington Vanderbilt II built this Chateausque-style mansion during the late 19th Century. It sports roughly 135,280 square feet inside. The Biltmore Estate is considered to be one of the prime examples of Gilded Age mansions. It was designed by Richard Hunt, who had built homes for the Vanderbilt family in the past.
The historic American home features steep roofs, ornamentation, and turrets, and is very asymmetrical. The windowed wing on the right holds the Winter Garden, which was popular during the Victorian era. There are a series of decorated jambs in the windows of the entrance tower, with plenty of carved directions in the forms of gargoyles and trefoils, just to name a few.
Built in 1883, this property features a historic home used as a hunting lodge for family members and guests. It was made for Marquis de Mores, who came to North Dakota to start his own cattle operation. He intended to slaughter and package meat in refrigerated cattle cars around the state, which was doing pretty well for itself until the town suffered a drought one year. The meat business started to suffer, as there was competition from the meat packers near the Eastern coast.
The family only lived there for three years and would return to France, only using the home as a vacation spot during the spring and summer months. After the Marquis’ death, it was maintained by caretakers who were eventually given ownership by one of the Marquis’ sons. It was ultimately shut down due to theft and disrepair; the state overtook the property.
Frank Lloyd Wright designed and built this Prairie-style home in around 1908. The property includes the main house plus a garage with stables and a pergola. Westcott, his wife, and his two children lived in the home or a majority of their lives.
Eventually, in 1918, other additions were made, such as a summer porch on the second floor as well as another room below. The daughter, Jeanne, moved out once she married Richard Rodgers, but the couple hosted their wedding at this home. After a series of unfortunate events, Westcott had to sell the house when his business started to fail. He died as a result of stress, where funeral services were also held at Westcott House.
This historic American property is also known as the Blue Hawk Peak Ranch and was once home to the entertainer “Pawnee Bill” Lillie. It originally featured 5,000 acres, but it now only sits on 200 of the original acreage. The ranch consists of a fully-furnished home, a museum, and a heard of bison, horses, and cattle.
Lillie appreciated the importance of the bison to the culture of the American West and began keeping them so that their populations could be maintained. The Pawnee Bill Ranch was built in 1910 to overlook the Black Bear River. Its design is the Tudor style. Many other buildings were added after then, including a blacksmith shop, an observation, and a log cabin, to name a few. A three-story barn was also added in 1936 to accommodate their large population of cattle.
This suburban home definitely became famous through the movie “The Goonies,” where shots of the exterior were used in the film. Many people stop by to take pictures of the outside, but the people who live in the home aren’t too keen on people walking through their yard.
If you really want to get pictures, it’s best to park at the nearby school and walk to this location to take pictures. The owners would be extremely appreciative for you respecting their boundaries.
Another house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, this gorgeous home was built in the rural area of southwestern Pennsylvania. It was constructed over a waterfall on Bear Run and intended to be a weekend home.
The view from the windows is absolutely spectacular, and the sounds of running water would provide anyone with a sense of comfort. It became an official landmark in 1966 and is still considered one of the best examples of American architecture to this day.
This Rhode Island property is a Vanderbilt mansion that became a landmark in 1994. The Breakers was originally a summer home for the Vanderbilt family, who wanted a home in the style of the Italian Renaissance. It sports 70 rooms and has about 126,000 square feet.
The entrance is recognizable by iron gates, which is also the location where visitors enter. A 12-foot high stone-and-iron fence runs around the entire property except for the side that faces the beach. The Breakers sits on about 14 acres that overlook the ocean, providing a fantastic view that anyone would enjoy.
Within this mansion, the Civil War between the American states finally ended. President Jefferson Davis held the last council of the Confederacy, where Mallory, Benjamin, Breckinridge, and Reagan were also present. Davis was convinced that the resources of the South were exhausted and that it would be a waste of time to continue fighting the war.
The house was built in the 1830s in the Greek-Revival style by David Lesley. Inside bears Southern antiques such as paintings, rugs, silver, and furniture. The dining room is definitely one to behold, as it is the epiphany of Southern hospitality and charm. The last surviving member of the family donated the home to the Historic Preservation Commission for maintenance.
Though built in 1889 for the McMartins, it was purchased in 1911 by Senator Pettigrew for $12,000. It was here that he took actions to preserve Sioux Falls as well as the surrounding area.
One of his passions was collecting, so he had a very extensive collection of items in the rear or his home. He would obtain guns, any articles related to Sioux Falls, clothing, and natural history specimens. Another addition was eventually made to accommodate these items as his collection grew.
The once-home of Elvis, Graceland is how a museum to all of his items related to his music and his life. Elvis also died in this home in 1977, and the property was appointed to his father. His only daughter eventually became the sole heir of the estate. Once she turned 25, Lisa Marie created a new trust called the Elvis Presley Trust that would continue the running of the estate.
It is the second most-visited home in the United States, after The White House located in Washington D.C. It became a historic landmark in 2006, where it features everything rock n’ roll.
Southfork started as a ranch, but in 1978, it was chosen by Lorimar Productions to be the showplace for the long-running show, “Dallas.” The historic property was featured prominently throughout the series, which ran from 1978 to 1991. The beautiful white mansion has come to be one of the most iconic, given the popularity of the show.
The original owners were living there when filming began until people were starting to request private parties to be held inside. Eventually, the ranch was opened up to the public and was turned into an event center. With 63,000 square feet, there was a lot of space for people to use for their events.
Initially built in 1856, it was the home of Brigham Young, who was the second president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was also the first governor of Utah. The home gained its name from the giant lion statue that stood by the entrance.
The rooms inside are still equipped with antique furniture and make the best place for any special event you have going on in your life. The hospitality of the staff also makes this place quite attractive, especially for weddings.
This historic home in Vermont was once the home of Rudyard Kipling, the famous author. He actually wrote many of his famous books here and named the house after a pavilion located in Lahore Fort in Pakistan. A lot went into the design of this home, and it involved some elements of a South Asian Indian bungalow.
It has a beautiful view of the Connecticut River and Mount Monadnock, while the front of the home has a long tree-lined driveway with an iron gate set between pillars to grant you entry. It is now owned by the Landmark Trust, who offers the place up for rental if people want to stay there.
The Monticello was the primary plantation and home of Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. It’s located just outside the Charlottesville area and has 5,000 acres surrounding the building. Among these acres were patches of farmed tobacco and other crops, depending on the market at the time.
Jefferson himself designed the main house in the neoclassical style, and eventually, other buildings were added to the property as well. After Jefferson’s death, he was buried on the property, which is now the Monticello Cemetery. The entire property was taken over by his nephew, who spent a lot of money to keep it preserved.
If you’ve ever seen the movie “Up!” then you’ll be familiar with this scene. This home used to belong to Edith Macefield, who refused to sell her house to developers when everything else around was converted into big box stores. Even when she was offered a million dollars for the property, she refused.
It wasn’t because she hated the buildings being put up around her, but she just couldn’t be bothered to move. The building itself is over 100 years old, built out of plywood. After her death, Barry Martin, who took care of Macefield in her later years, gained control of her home and sold it to a real estate developer. However, they couldn’t afford to pay the back taxes and eventually went into foreclosure.
Located in Blennerhassett Island, Harman Blennerhassett once owned this mansion. He was involved with Aaron Burr and his wife in some of the more interesting intrigues. The original mansion burned to the ground a long time ago, but a detailed replica eventually replaced it to preserve a piece of history.
During a tour of the place, you can go on horse-drawn carriage rides, peruse the grounds, have a nice lunch in one of the picnic shelters, or rent a bike to see the rest of the surrounding area.
This 600-acre property was the home of Frank Lloyd Wright, a famous American architect. He designed it two years after he left his first wife, based on the flatness of the plains and the natural limestone of the surrounding area. It was completed in 1911. The residential wing underwent reconstruction in 1914 after an employee set fire to the living quarters.
The living quarters were destroyed again by another fire as a result of electrical problems. Eventually, the building became foreclosed, but Wright managed to reacquire it after some help by his friends. Taliesin was ultimately left to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation after Wright’s death in 1959, which saw to preserving the structure as is.
It is also known as Trail End and was the home of Senator Kendrick. MacAlister designed the mansion and it took five years to build from 1908 to 1913. Because Kendrick was a successful cattleman, he had this home commissioned during this time before he became a senator. Afterward, he used this place as a summer home.
In 1970, the National Register of Historic Places added the Kendrick Mansion to its list. It was purchased to save it from destruction and became a community museum. It still contains its original structure, and some of the furnishings inside have remained.
The official house of the President of the United States, it’s been one of the standing beacons of democracy in the modern world. It was built and designed by James Hoban, who used the neoclassical style. Thomas Jefferson was the first to move in during 1801, where colonnades were added on each wing to accommodate stables and storage.
During the Ear of 1812, the White House was burned down by the British Army, but construction began immediately afterward to restore it. Construction began in 1817 with President Monroe but the White House was not ready until 1829.